Monday, August 18, 2008

Fuel Savings in Hard Times (Update)

Related Articles

Truth About Acetone and Ethanol


Update 2008-08-18: I spent a couple of hours on my Tahoe this weekend. First I changed the plugs and wires. I bought standard parts... nothing special. Then I put six ounces of Seafoam in the crankcase and pulled six ounces into the throttle body via the brake booster. I let the latter set for five or ten minutes and then started the Tahoe up. It smoked for five or so minutes as it burned through the engine. Then I took it out and "blew the soot out" of it. After this I changed my oil. I wanted to go with a synthetic oil but my Tahoe has 118k miles and dude said I should not because it will break down the engine. I will research this further to validate whether I should or should not go to a synthetic. So I ended up putting in Quaker State 10W-30. I can verify that the Tahoe has more power and seems to be more agile. I'm going to let this tank burn out and refuel before I begin testing fuel economy again.

So here's a summary of what I did this weekend.
  • Changed spark plugs (Autolite) & wires.
  • Seafoamed the crankcase and engine intake (not the fuel)
  • Blew the soot out (the fun part)
  • Changed the oil
My Tahoe is not leaving rubber or running a six-second quarter... that's not my goal. I just want to up my MPG.

No comments: