Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fuel Savings in Hard Times (Tank1)

Related Articles

Truth About Acetone and Ethanol

Well, the first tank is history. It got a dismal 16.2 mpg. I was really disappointed after the horsepower increase I saw early on. I refueled yesterday and added the acetone at .5oz/gal. That was 21 gallons added and 10.5oz of acetone. Yes, I realize there were a few gallons in the tank (26-gal tank) and this throws off the mixture a bit but I'm not going for rocket science yet. I'm going for a noticeable result... and 16.2 mpg is noticeable... OUCH.

By the way... 87 octane was $3.47/gal in Cabot, AR yesterday (Aug 5, 2008) evening. I buy at Kroger and get $.03 off just for having a Kroger card... then an additional $0.10 off if I've bought over $100 in groceries. Not shabby, but I remember when gas was below $0.50/gal... so $3.50 is not really impressive.

So far I'm not impressed. However there are some discrepancies I've seen on other sites. For the most part, people use a much smaller amount of acetone per gallon of gasoline. My test, for now, is to baseline the higher ratio and then begin tweaking the fuel mixture. I will probably also see about tweaking the timing. Something tells me that timing may have something to do with this although the article above didn't speak about timing at all. I'm not a mechanic but I have this feeling that richer fuel may need a timing adjustment to be optimal. We shall see.

No comments: